Sunday, September 21, 2014

From CMMB: Your Weekly Reflection 9/21/14

Weekly Prayer Reflection for Summer
“I am hard pressed between my desire to depart and my desire to be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you.”
Philippians 1:23-24
September 21, 2014
25th Sunday of the Year
Dear Friends,
Why are we here on earth? Is it simply to pass through and get to heaven, to gain eternal life with the angels and saints, with family and friends? Or does God have larger plans and hopes for us? Do we have some responsibility for others? To put it boldly, in addition to saving our own lives, are we here to help others in this life and help others on their path to eternal life?
St. Ignatius once posed this dilemma to one of his companions. “If you were given the option by God to die this day and go direct to heaven, or stay on earth, and not be guaranteed salvation, what would you choose?” His companion chose the first, to go directly to heaven. Ignatius then said that he himself would choose the second, to stay on this earth in order to render continued service to God and neighbor. He added that placing his trust in God, he would “have no regard for my danger or security.”
St. Paul seems to think the same way. In his letter to the Philippians, he prefers to stay on in this world, even if departing from this world and being with Christ is “far better.” He stays on, as he explains, for the benefit of those he is sent to preach to and teach. In saying this, Paul is reminding us that our purpose in life is to render service to God, to give ourselves to the Lord in service to our brothers and sisters.
 
My Father, I abandon myself to You. Do with me as You will. I am prepared for anything. I accept everything, provided Your will is fulfilled in me and in all creatures. I ask for nothing more. I place my soul in Your hands. I give it to You, my God, with all the love of my heart, because I love You.
Charles de Foucauld

 Rev. Peter Schineller, S.J., CMMB Board of Directors
 

Donate to Weekly Prayer Reflection for Summer