Thursday, January 28, 2021

Mary's Shelter Happenings

 

 



Mary's Shelter Happenings


"Love cannot remain by itself - it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action, and that action is service."

~Mother Teresa



An Update from our Executive Director 
Kathleen Wilson

Dear friends,

Like everyone, we were hit hard with a virus that left us feeling a little helpless and unsure of how to operate. We did not know how we would meet the needs of the many folks who were reaching out to us. We, as a team, decided we were not going to shut down services, but instead, we would "trust" and assist those reaching out. The first thing we did was partner with a local hotel which offered an amazing discount so we could quarantine all future residents for 10 days before entering our homes. This made everyone feel safe. Soon folks heard about this and the calls for assistance were many. We were assisting women with food, rent, education costs, car payments, housing needs and payments, as well as transportation costs so women and children could get to their families, etc. We did what we needed to do to keep families safe. This could not have been done without our friends. It was amazing to witness our supporters, who were also experiencing trials and uncertainty, give so generously so we could assist so many people in our community. AND, in addition to the families we served through our respite program, we have also kept our doors open, giving refuge to pregnant women in crisis and providing a safe environment for their babies. On behalf of our board of directors, staff and volunteers we thank you for your continued generosity, support, service, and prayers. We are most thankful to God for His amazing grace!

Kathleen Wilson, Executive Director
 

Resident Spotlight: Meet Cassidy!

Thank you for sharing your story. Please tell us what brought you to Mary's Shelter?

My name is Cassidy - I’m 24 and I came to Mary’s Shelter at the end of May. This past March, I left a very abusive relationship. There was emotional and physical abuse as well drug abuse, on both our parts. I knew I had to leave, but unfortunately, that meant being homeless because I had driven away every friend I knew.

A couple of days later, just like a bad movie, I found out I was pregnant. I cannot remember how I felt other than shame and awe. Why would God allow me to have a baby now? I was alone and homeless. I lost custody of my first child when I was 17 and now, I would lose this one. For the first time in my life, I considered abortion. On top of all that, I was scared to bring a child into this global pandemic. But thank God, during this time, a good friend begged me to reconsider the termination and I listened. I was going to have my child.
I knew I needed to make changes and decided it was time to go to rehab. I also knew I had to have a place to live or I would chance having my precious baby taken away. I was a bundle of nerves and spent every day panicking. I was given information about Mary's Shelter and thought this was too good to be true. My first thought was "I'm not considered a Catholic, I don't have a car, I don't have anything" but when I spoke with Erin, the intake coordinator, I quickly learned none of that was even a consideration. I was comforted. I went through the approval process and was quickly accepted. A reservation was made for me to stay at a local hotel to quarantine for 10 days before I was able to move into my new home.

That must have been such a relief. What was it like walking into Mary's Shelter?

When I arrived at Mary’s Shelter, I was 4 1/2 months pregnant. I was in awe but also very scared. I had about four suitcases to my name, I had absolutely nothing for my child. When I walked through the door of this beautiful home, I felt blessed to see that my baby and I would have our own room. There were brand new fresh towels and bedding, not only for me, but for my baby too. There were soaps, detergents, toothpaste and more on the dresser for us. For the first time in a long time, I felt relief and quickly settled in.

When was your baby born and how are you both doing?

Ezekiel Thomas was born on 11/11/20 and despite all odds, he is in amazing health. He is growing so tall! He smiles and is truly a happy baby who loves to cuddle with his mama!
Upon entering the Mary's Shelter program, I completely left my abusive situation. I bought a car, restored relationships with people I love, and I am working on visitation with my daughter. I also worked as a hair dresser during my pregnancy.

What are your future goals?

My goal is to continue my education and receive my certificate in phlebotomy. From there, I want to continue on to become a Nurse. I am thankful to all the staff, volunteers and donors who make this possible for me and my family.

Staff Spotlight: Madeline Whittaker
How did you first become involved with Mary's Shelter?

I first became involved with Mary’s Shelter in 2017 when I assisted the residents as a mentor and doula. It was very rewarding and fulfilling to be there, holding their hand through labor as they brought their little miracles into the world. 

That's great that you began volunteering in ways so important to the women Mary's Shelter serves. What is your position now with the ministry?

Now, my position at Mary’s Shelter is house checker and general assistant to the director, Kathleen. I do everything from making and sending newsletters to ordering supplies and also a lot of tech work. As house checker I visit the moms a few times a week and go over proper cleaning and organizing, but it also offers me the opportunity to talk one on one with each resident and offer encouragement.

What do you find most rewarding in that capacity?  

The most rewarding thing about my job I think is getting to put God-given talents to use in such a wonderful and worthy place and going into the houses and seeing the young children and babies thriving in their new homes. 

What would you like readers to know about the moms and children of Mary's Shelter? And can you share your thoughts on how this ministry impacts our community?

I have often been struck by the grit and strength that these moms have to juggle work, school and raising kiddos on a daily basis on their own. Having my own baby now and knowing how much I rely on my husband’s support and help really makes me admire these ladies for the resolve they must have to do it as single moms.

Fredericksburg is so blessed to have this ministry and I have seen countless ways Mary’s Shelter has positively impacted our community. It is so wonderful to see so many churches, businesses and families working together to make something great happen. So many have given with generous hearts of their time, money and skills to make Mary’s Shelter the wonderful success that it is. 
THANK YOU
Thank you to :
All our moms for choosing life.
All their babies and children for bringing so much joy.
Our board of directors for the constant, encouraging support in growing this ministry.
All our prayer warriors.
All our amazing, generous donors - we could not do this without you.
All our volunteers who give their time and love so generously.
A special thank you to our staff who give their hearts and souls everyday to supporting and loving the families we serve.
Thank you to the many families and organizations who donated this year.
Thank you to:
St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception Catholic Church for Christmas Giving Tree presents for our kids, gift cards, and the always ongoing generosity. A special thank you to Father Mosimann and all the priests at St. Mary who support the needs of our residents in so many ways. Thank you also to the Knights of Columbus, Order of Hibernians, Council of Catholic Women, and Tatiana Beltran and the youth groups of St. Mary for the generous Christmas donations.
St. Matthew Catholic Church for the Christmas Giving Tree gift cards.
St. Patrick Catholic Church for the Christmas Giving Tree gifts for our kids and gift cards.
St. Clare of Assisi Catholic Church for the Christmas Giving Tree gift cards.
St. William of York Catholic School for the beautiful coats for our families and the generous donation of much needed items.
Thank you to Kate Mandel for the gorgeous Christmas card photography and Maura Harrison for the graphic design (in addition to the many photos and designs you donate to us throughout the year - always stunning!)
Thank you to Stafford Printing for so generously donating the printing of our Christmas cards and the many cards, envelopes, and brochures throughout the year.
Thank you to Johnny Leach and the Eagles Lodge - even though you could not be our Santa this year you still found a way to give.
Thank you to Catholic Charities Counseling Services in Fredericksburg. Your kindness shines.
Thank you to Paul and Kristen Sowa for once again, in loving memory of their baby boy Paul, providing Christmas breakfast to our families.
Thank you to Megan D'Lugos for organizing this year's Life Walk and Steve Sherba of 837 Design for the gift of graphic design for this event.
Thank you to Todd Helbling and Steve Tally for a year's worth of "fixer upper" services.
Thank you to the many friends who stopped by our office and/or sent in donations. We are so very appreciative.
Thank you to our friends at MacDoc for the amazing, continued generosity. You are nothing short of a gift to this ministry and our families.

Thank you to the young ladies of Troop 5380 for installing the Blessing Box on our property. It is amazing to know friends can take what they need. It's also amazing to watch how it is always filled again. Thank you, ladies. This is a project that will make such a great difference for many years to come. 
 

Our Wish List

We periodically ask our residents what they want or need and they tell us! Please help them in any way that you can. If you would like to know more about specific needs, please contact us. Thanks!

  • Size 4,5,6 diapers
  • Pull-ups for toddlers
  • Target gift cards
  • Walmart gift cards
  • Children's books
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Tupperware
  • Deodorant
  • Razors
  • Baby carriers
  • Volunteer services
  • Bath towels
  • Standard size bed pillows
  • Kitchen and bathroom cleaners
  • Women's twin size comforters
Help us fulfill the promise! We appreciate your generosity and kindness.

Click here to find out more.

Mary's Shelter | 1601 Princess Anne St., Fredericksburg, VA 22401