Wednesday, February 27, 2019

From CMMB: "I saw her slipping away"



 


72-year-old Mulewa with her 5-year-old granddaughter Mwikali.
  
It was past midnight when Mulewa was woken up. Her daughter, Ngiria, was in labor and desperately needed her.

The labor lasted hours. Ngiria lost a lot of blood and was in and out of consciousness. With tears in her eyes, Mulewa recalls what happened next:

"I remember holding my newborn grandson in my arms. He wasn't breathing. He had no heartbeat. And then I looked at Ngiria, my daughter. I could see she was slipping away. But no matter what I tried, I couldn't stop the bleeding. And then, just like that, she was gone."

What should have been a time of joy and celebration quickly turned into deep sorrow. Not only did Mulewa lose her daughter and grandson, but six children had lost their mother and a husband, his wife.
Mwende (12), Muli (10), Ndungee (7), and Mulewa (13) no longer have a mother.
"We needed a hospital. We needed a doctor. If there was a hospital, if my wife had a doctor's care, maybe she would be alive today and my children would have their mother." - Negi, father in Kenya
Ngiria and her baby boy should be alive. Their deaths - like that of so many women and babies in impoverished countries - were preventable. If only they lived closer to the hospital, if only they had a doctor's skilled care, if only...

Your gift can help save precious lives, like Ngiria and her baby boy, by ensuring pregnant women have access to prenatal care, emergency transportation, a health facility with trained medical professionals, and critical medicines, so they can deliver their babies safely. Your help can bring the light of hope.

 
DONATE NOW
With gratitude,

President and CEO
CMMB/Healthier Lives Worldwide



Healthier Lives Worldwide