Monday, November 19, 2012

Mary's Shelter November Newsletter - Twins, Crafts, and Christmas Carols!

color logo web

November 2012
Greetings!
and a long-anticipated update....
Monica's Baby Girls 

We have so much exciting news to share!  But first, I would like to introduce the first set of twins ever born at Mary's Shelter.  They were born on October 25th and are home and doing extremely well. 

Welcome, Pierrette Esther and Patience Deborah!


twins in heart

And here is a picture of their mother who so patiently carried them for 9 long months!
veronique 2
photos courtesy of Lori Elizabeth Photography

We are so grateful to everyone who has been helping Monica with the rather challenging adjustment to life with twins AND a busy 3 year old!  So many kind people have offered to babysit, give rides and be a friend to Monica in her time of need.  You all serve as a reminder that Mary's Shelter is truly a community effort, and we are humbled by your out-pourings of love and your examples of Christ-like sacrifice.   THANK YOU!

God bless,

Kathleen Wilson, director

"I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.

Craft Bazaar Success!
A thank-you note from Kathleen
 
THANK YOU, THANK YOU
to everyone who gave so generously of their time, talents and treasure at this year's Arts and Crafts Benefit. 
I am so pleased to announce that $5000 was raised!
  That is the most money ever raised at this event!  
 
Everything was beautiful and I was able to stop by each table and purchase something that I will lovingly give as a gift at Christmas.  Unfortunately, I cannot say the same about the baked goods - they did not last more than a few minutes in my house!  So delicious! 

Adele Anderson deserves so much thanks.  She has been organizing this benefit every year for the last 4 years.   We thought last year was successful - this year takes the cake! She pours her heart and soul into this event which in turn motivates others to join in. Her excitement is contagious!   

I would like to give a special shout out to all the kids that made crafts for this event.  You make me so proud.  From all the mothers and children you have helped, a big thank you.  I love you all and am thrilled you have chosen Mary's Shelter to serve so beautifully.   

 

Resident Interview - "Catherine"
"Catherine" is 29 years old and has been living at Mary's Shelter since October, 2011.
She is came to Mary's Shelter with a high school diploma and a desire to continue her education.  She gave birth to her first child in March, 2012.  The father of her baby is currently in prison. 
.
Q: How did you find out about Mary's Shelter?
 I found out about Mary's Shelter through the internet.  
 
Q: Are there things about living here that you find difficult?
Some stuff that I find difficult about living here is dealing with all the other mothers and their thoughts on life and how they deal with those thoughts.  


Q:How would you describe your life growing up?
 
I had an average American life being a rebellious teenager and dealing with a mother and father that barely got along and divorced after being married for 22 years. 

Q: Did you ever consider having an abortion during this pregnancy?  Have you ever had an abortion in the past?  
I never considered an abortion because God doesn't bless us with nothing we can't handle in life.

 
Q:What are some of the greatest challenges you have faced? 
Some of the great challenges I have faced are trying to regain my life as a single mother and trying to make the best of everything God has put in my path.
 
 
Q:What aspects of your life are trying to change?
I would like to change the way I look in other people's eyes as a single mother by never giving up hoping to make life better for me and my daughter.   

Q: What goals do you have for yourself?
Some of my goals are to get a car, a home, my CNA License and to continue being the best mother for my daughter.   

Q: What place does God have in your life? 
God is my backbone and everyday I wake up and thank him for letting Mary's Shelter open their doors and arms to me and for helping me regain my inner and outer self.   I hope my daughter will look up at me one day and say, "Thank you, mommy, for not giving up on us."

 

 

Volunteer Interview - Debbie Busby
  debbie busby
Debbie volunteers for Project Linus, a non-profit that provides handmade blankets to children in need.
She started sewing when she was in the 7th grade and has enjoyed it ever since.  She has 2 children, a daughter age 26 and an adopted son from Guatemala age 21.  Children have always been a joy for her and when she was introduced to Project Linus in 2010, she found that it beautifully combined her love of sewing with her love of children.  She lives in Virginia with her wonderful husband of 2 years.
Q: What do your volunteer duties involve?
My duties as a Project Linus volunteer are very wide spread.  It consists of cutting fabric and sewing blankets to preparing for my quarterly workshops.  The workshops bring together 50 to 75 people of all ages from 12 to 90 that come to make blankets for the children.  Once the blankets are completed then I distribute them to the various hospitals, shelters, and homes for children.  I maintain contact with the various centers that I distribute to and keep my volunteers informed on a regular basis of upcoming events and positive feedback from children who have received a blanket.

Q: How did you first get involved with Mary's Shelter and begin volunteering?

When I took over as the coordinator of the Culpeper chapter of Project Linus I wanted to expand the number of places that we could donate blankets to.  We were currently serving Child Help and I asked them for other locations in the area that may be in need.  She mentioned Mary's Shelter and I contacted Kathleen.  After talking with her it became evident that Mary's Shelter would be a perfect place for us to give to.

Q: How do you find the time to volunteer?

I began working with Project Linus as a volunteer that made the blankets.  I had recently stopped working as an assistant director at a child care center and I felt that being the coordinator would fit right into my past experience.  So to make a long story short, since I do not work this volunteer mission has become my full-time job.  It takes quite a bit of time but it is so rewarding that it makes it all worthwhile.

Q: What is the best part of volunteering at Mary's Shelter? What have you learned from your volunteer experience?
The best part of volunteering at Mary's Shelter is that I know how much every blanket is appreciated by every child and every parent.  Kathleen has been so appreciative of everything that is given.  Her stories of the families there and what she does for every one of them makes my job of giving blankets pure joy.  I have learned a lot about Mary's Shelter and I am so supportive of how Mary's Shelter is not just a place for someone to stay. It is a place that a woman having a difficult time, compounded by the stress of being pregnant, has not only a place to stay, but will be with people that want to help. Mary's Shelter helps these ladies to learn how to get back on their feet and be able to survive on their own with their children.  Mary's Shelter has helped me to realize how important and how rewarding volunteering for someone in need can be.  It puts a smile in your heart everyday.

Q: What would you recommend for others who want to get more involved in Mary's Shelter through volunteer work?
One thing to remember when you want to volunteer is that it can be as much or as little as you can do.  I have some volunteers that do something everyday and others that do what they can at our quarterly workshops.  A little bit of giving, no matter what it is, goes a long way for those that need help.  There are many ways to volunteer.  You can volunteer by helping out an hour a week at the homes or you can do a service in your own home when time allows and then bring it to Mary's Shelter.  If you are not sure what is helpful and you want to do something four easy words will help.  "What can I do?

Q: What is the best thing about Mary's Shelter?

The best thing about Mary's Shelter is that they reach out to a select group of women that are not only pregnant but have other children with them as well.  What I enjoy most is that it is not just a roof over their heads, it is a home where everyone helps each other and the women are educated on the care for their children and how to better themselves.  They receive help in getting a job, getting on their feet again, and all is done by people who care.  

 


Tickets on sale now for the Christmas Soirée! Join us for dinner, a Christmas concert, and Christmas cheer!
Tickets MUST be purchased in advance via check or Paypal.  There is very limited seating.Please visit our website or email us for more information.
Christmassoiree2012  
Thank you!
We would like to thank the following local, small businesses who contributed to the Arts and Crafts Benefit:  
Little Apron Baking Company
Clay Rosaries
Graceful Rosaries
Beads for Mary
Haute Momz
Lori Elizabeth Photography
Maura Harrison Designs
Mary Gildersleeve
Kieran's Rosaries

and everyone else who donated their beautiful crafts and delicious baked goods, and to all those who volunteered their time helping to make the day run smoothly.  A huge thanks to Adele Anderson and family for the many hours spent on organizing, setting up, and breaking down.  Thank you!

*We would like to thank Janet Richardson for taking over as childcare coordinator for Monday Night Madness.  This has been an enormous help and burden lifted!  Thank you!

*Thank you to Karen Scanlon, Monika Felock, Mary Wilson, Katarina Fletcher, Rita Pinion and Marilyn Coughlin and for giving so much time and energy to helping Monica with her new baby twins.

*Thank you to Brie Austen for her quiet work behind the scenes.  We are grateful for her steady efforts to meet the various needs of our ladies.

*Thank you to the St. Anne Sisters in Faith from St. Mary Church for their monthly donations of laundry detergent, toilet paper, diapers, and anything else we need for our Boutique!

*Thank you to the Ladybugs for the beautiful baby baskets!

*Thanks to Mr. Duffy from St. Patrick's Church for the constant generosity.

*Thank you to Mr. Joe for keeping our ladies supplied with snacks for Monday Night Madness.

*Thank you to Keegan Sweeney who came up with the idea of "Hunger - Let's Can It!"  He collects food from students at St. Patrick's School and delivers it to our residents.  Thank you for your initiative and generosity!

*Thank you to Tim Pemberton for all the computer help!

*Thank you to our fab interns, Marian and Caroline.


Fulfill the Promise Campaign
Are you a part of the Mary's Shelter family? Our Fulfill the Promise campaign asks for just a small monthly donation. Could you commit to $20 a month to fund Mary's Shelter?  
.

Stay Connected
Facebook    Twitter    LinkedIn    Pinterest
1234 Main Street, Awesomeville, MA · 555.555.5555