For those who have a devotion to Our Lady of Fatima (I do), Catholic
author and journalist Michael H. Brown writes about the English
translation of a 2013 book titled A Pathway Under the Gaze of Mary:
- For decades, those who followed the apparitions have been puzzled by
a cryptic remark that Sister Lucia later said was at the end of the
second secret or the beginning of the third and stated, ‘In Portugal,
the dogma of the Faith will always be preserved etc.’ That was followed
by the famous and mysterious third secret that was not revealed until
June of 2000. When it was finally made public, the image reported bore
no relation to Portugal, leaving the mystery and confusion intact.
- In the book, however, the nuns say that on one occasion, as she was
meditating, Sister Lucia, who virtually never spoke about the messages,
had ‘let slip’ that ‘if Portugal does not approve abortion, then it is
safe, but if approved it will have much to suffer.
- ‘For the sin of the person, the person is responsible and pays for
it, but for the sin of the nation all the people pay for it because
rulers who enact unjust laws do so on behalf of the people who elected
- Add the nuns, in the book, ‘Today Portugal is under the weight of
the three social sins that require reparation and conversion: divorce,
abortion, and the civil marriage between persons of the same sex. It is a
great moral crisis that explains all other crises. A body sick with
gangrene does better with treatments, but while the disease improves,
treatment does not eradicate the source of evil, and death will be the
- Thus: abortion appears to be integrated into the Fatima appearances, at least in Sister Lucia’s later interpretations.
Click here to read the rest of Mr. Brown’s article. Click here to order a copy of the book.