Friday, October 9, 2009

She Really Did Want This Baby

From http://www.calcatholic.com/

Family Planning Associates, San Diego - Saturday, October 3


We were blessed with nine prayer warriors and one sidewalk counselor. Most of the fifteen women entering the mill did not pass me in the main driveway, but entered other driveways. I was able to speak to several people who had dropped off a friend to have the abortion. A young man stopped to ask me why we were out there so frequently. When I told him, he said "God bless you. I belong to a Christian motorcycle club. We will pray for you wherever we are." 

Around 10 a.m., as we began to leave, I noticed a young woman, A., sitting on the curb (below FPA). Picking up my belongings, I headed straight for her and asked her if she was waiting for a friend who was having an abortion. She told me it was she who was thinking about the abortion and that she was very angry at her (ex) boyfriend for leaving her there, making her go through this alone. Letting her know I understood her feelings of anger, I asked her whose idea the abortion was. Crying, she told me it was her (ex) boyfriend's and that she was unsure. 

We spoke for a little while longer, I asked her to walk with me, and she did, stopping briefly so she could smoke and release more feelings of the anger and abandonment she felt towards her (ex) boyfriend, her roommate, and everyone else in her life who has let her down. Talking all the way to my car, we sat on the grass where she was able to open up about her fears and I could share with her some alternatives. Eventually, I asked her to let me drive her to Culture of Life Family Services to get an ultra-sound to see how far along she was. After she agreed, I phoned Dr. Karen Saroki (on my cell phone) asking her to meet us at Culture of Life. 

On the way, A. phoned FPA, canceled her appointment and rescheduled for the following Saturday (still undecided about the abortion). I never stopped praying (silently) the entire time we were in the car. By the time we reached Culture of Life, we had discussed her fears and her strengths. I asked her to think about what it was that she herself wanted (putting all the people telling her what to do aside). It was then that she shared with me that she really did want this baby and she'd love to have a baby boy first. She fell in love with the baby she saw on the ultra-sound while at Culture of Life, crying as she watched her lively little pre-born move around her womb; she was able to distinguish each and every body part. We left with A. carrying her Culture of Life New Mom's Baby Basket (blue), the book entitled "What to Expect When You're Expecting." 

After she and I exchanged our contact information, I left her off at her home. Last night at 10:30, I received a text message expressing her gratitude for everything. She phoned again today, confirming her feelings from last night. I continue to thank Our Divine Savior, Our Lady of Guadalupe and all of you who are so dedicated in praying for these abortion-vulnerable young women. 

In Christ thru Mary, 

Terry