Friday, October 7, 2011

Be Not Afraid

Media_httpihconstantc_mfqah

Dear HLI Family,

This past week I had lunch with a good friend, and we spent the great majority of our time talking about the spiritual crisis facing our world. Both of us are about the same age and had similar experiences of family life, moral upbringing, work ethic and a strong foundation in our Catholic faith. I asked him what he believed the core issue to be as he reflects upon the problems. He didn't take much time to answer. "Fear!" He stated, "Fear is what keeps people from doing what is right."

I asked him to explain. He continued, "Because the truth demands that we be accountable, responsible and that we be willing to accept the consequences of speaking and living the truth."

I, too, believe fear is the core issue gripping the lives of many people - Catholic laity and clergy, Christians and non-Christians. I have witnessed the silence of prominent Catholics; I have heard the scandalous statements of "Catholics" serving in public office; I have experienced the silence of clergy on life issues; I have seen people accept and promote behaviors contrary to the teaching of the Almighty Father and I witness, almost daily, a "nation under God" establish and promote laws that undermine the very freedom and dignity of man.

What is the cause of their fear? My friend offered that when people are faced with the reality of a decision, they usually focus on what it will cost them: possible rejection, change of lifestyle, inconveniences, sacrifices, missed opportunities, pleasure, financial gain or potential loss of relationships. They want to do the right thing, but the cost seems too high.

Let me share a recent example. During my homily this past Sunday, which was "Right to Life Sunday," I took advantage of the moment to speak about life issues as they related to the Gospel, and emphasized the role of every disciple of Jesus to "take up the cross and follow." I noted that the silence and indifference of Catholics and our fellow Christians has allowed the evil of abortion, contraception, divorce, euthanasia, homosexuality and cohabitation to become reality and accepted as norm, even though they contradict the very teachings of God. I reminded all present of Jesus' words, "Do not be afraid of those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul" (Matthew 10:26). We must not fear human beings, I continued; instead, we must fear God.

I challenged and invited every person that day to join me in an act of witness for Life. Every Right to Life Sunday, our local Right to Life chapters sponsor a "Life Chain," which takes place at two o'clock in the afternoon on the main boulevards of the cities or townships, and during which participants stand in solidarity, prayer and witness. I strongly challenged my flock to join me, and I told them I expected every one to be present. At the Life Chain later that day, participation was strong, but nowhere near one hundred percent of my congregation. Why?

Fear?

I know the majority of my congregation, like many people, know that abortion is a grave moral evil. I know they want to see it end. However, what are they doing about it? That was my point during my homily at Mass. I asked them to stand with me and their brothers and sisters for those who cannot stand for themselves. I asked them to turn off their televisions and witness their faith. Words and "good intentions" are necessary, but they can be cheap and easy if they are not acted upon. What is needed is action within the Body of Christ: witness of faith, preaching the Good News, teaching Gospel-based morality, voting pro-life candidates into office, supporting the Culture of Life on every level, supporting the traditional family and promoting openness to life from conception to natural death.

I am reminded of the famous words of Pastor Martin Niemoller:

First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Trade Unionist, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up.

Silence and fear do nothing. How many more innocents have to die; how many more elderly have to be euthanized; how many more women have to forcibly sterilized before we think it demands our attention?

And who do you think is next? The next group of people to be targeted might include you or me. Silence, complacency and indifference toward the anti-life agenda change nothing. My friend is right. Fear is the core issue. Many of our clergy are afraid of upsetting their congregations; many Catholics are afraid of speaking up because it might cause friction within families and work environments; many Catholics and Christians don't challenge public policy and politicians because of fear of retribution; many good people don't get involved in the defense of life because it may place them at odds with neighbors, friends, colleagues, the media, etc. Whatever the reason, the effect of silence and inaction is that the Culture of Death gains headway and more innocents die.

Together we can bring an end to this horrible stain upon our world. We can build a Civilization of Love when we stand together and witness the Gospel of Life. Do not be afraid of encouraging and challenging your brothers and sisters to join this cause. Help them to see the importance of active participation. Try this week to add one more person to the great line of pro-life witnesses, the Church Militant.

I thank you for your witness and support for Life. May Our Lord bless you for your faithful service, dedication and sacrifice.

For your spiritual reading, consult the Prophet Malachi 3:13-20b.

Sincerely yours in Christ,

Father Shenan J. Boquet
President, Human Life International

Media_httpihconstantc_btfgu

"Life is the first good received from God and is fundamental to all others; to guarantee the right to life for all and in an equal manner for all is the duty upon which the future of humanity depends" Pope Benedict XVI