Thursday, October 25, 2018

Have You Ever Been Afraid To Get a Glass of Water?



 


Mbongi collecting water.

It’s difficult for us to imagine what it must feel like to be afraid to get water. We simply turn on a tap, and there it is.

For too many women and children, collecting water is a life-threatening experience. I can't think of a better way to illustrate this than by sharing the story of Mbongi, a 13-year-old girl from rural Zambia.

"That morning was like every morning," Mbongi's mother recalls. "She had gone to the river's edge to collect water for cooking and other chores, and to bring her to school that day." 


Mbongi shared what happened next, in her own words.
“When I arrived at the river's edge to collect water, I dipped my hands in the water. I remember feeling like something wasn't right, like someone... something was watching me.

That’s when I saw its eyes. At first, I didn't believe what I was seeing, but then I saw its tail. It was a crocodile.

I was frozen, I didn't know what to do. I took a step back, and then I started running as fast as I could. I remember my heart was beating so loud I couldn't hear anything else. I thought it was going to eat me. I know the crocodile saw me. It was so close. Maybe it wasn’t hungry. Maybe that’s why I am alive today."
Even though Mbongi is terrified to go to the river to collect water, she, like many other women and children living in poverty, doesn't have any other choice. To make matters worse, the water is often contaminated, carrying life-threatening dangers, like cholera and other waterborne illnesses. But that can change with your help.
"I still fetch water at the same river – I have no other choice. But I am afraid. Before I go, I always pray for God’s safety. And I always go very quickly. I just dip the buckets and run back home as fast as I can."
Please consider making a gift now. Your gift of $100, $200, $500, or any amount can improve access to safe water for children like Mbongi.

Thank you for keeping women, children, and communities living in poverty in your prayers and in your heart.
DONATE NOW
With gratitude,

President and CEO
CMMB/Healthier Lives Worldwide

 





Healthier Lives Worldwide

Our mailing address is:
CMMB
100 Wall Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10005