Wednesday, December 14, 2011

An Advent Story of Hope

.
The Word at the Heart of My Journalism:
An Advent Story of Hope
 
LifeSiteNews Journalist, Peter Baklinski and FamilyPeter Baklinski, who joined LifeSiteNews at the end of August, has studied theology at the International Theological Institute in Austria, after which he began a doctorate program at the John Paul II institute in Melbourne, Australia.  He is now completing the doctorate through correspondence. Peter conveys below his understanding that LifeSiteNews journalism is a special calling from God.
 
Kind reader, I reveal to you below what is in the heart of a young husband and father who is seeking to serve the Lord through journalism with LifeSiteNews. While the battle is truly the Lord’s, each of us must do our own part to win the final victory.
 
A  conversation:
 
“My people are perishing for lack of knowledge (Hos 4:6),”he told me plainly. 
 
“Who is perishing?” I asked. 
 
“My people!,” he said with a hint of urgency in his voice. 
 
“Yes, but who are they?”
 
“Everyone created in my image and likeness…They are perishing because they do not know truth.”
 
“But what is truth?,” I asked, realizing too late how much I echoed the ancient skeptic Pilate. 

“You have learned in school that truth is the correspondence of the mind with reality, but it is much more than this. 
 
"Truth is a person. The highest reality is a divine Communion of Persons. 
 
"My people are perishing because in not knowing me, they do not know Truth, and thus they do not know how to order their lives towards divine realities.”
 
“What exactly causes them to perish?” 
 
“They do not know what immeasurable value they have as bearers of my image and likeness. I have called each one by name (Is 43:1) to share in the deep love that I share with my Father and the Holy Spirit. They would be overcome with joy if they only knew what this meant!”
 
“But my question hasn't been answered,” I pressed. “How are they actually perishing?”
 
“Mothers and Fathers forget my image in their child, not allowing the little one to come to know me and my plan of goodness and mercy for their child’s life."
 
"Families forget my image in their elderly members, re-valuing their lives in terms of cost, burden, or quality of life."
 
"Governments forget my image as they strip marriage and the family of the spiritual fiber of my own divine life that I have woven into the innermost structures of these divine institutions."
 
"In forgetting my image, mankind has lost itself. It has lost its bearing.” 
 
“Can anything be done?,” I stammered, sweeping the cold floor with my eyes for an answer. 
 
“What can be done, I have done already."
 
"Even if a mother forgets her child, I will never forget my people. I have carved each one of them on the palms of my hands (Isaiah 49:15-16).” 
 
“Is there anything I can do?,” I asked, turning to meet his gaze. 
 
“Speak Truth. Give my people knowledge so that they will not perish.”
 
“How can I speak truth?,” I asked, turning my face once more away from his. “I am so small in a world of giants.”
 
“Through the Logos,” he said, catching my eye again.  
 
“What is that?”
 
 “I am the Logos (Jn 1:1), the Word who penetrates the thoughts and desires of the heart (Heb 4:12). 
 
"Speak Truth through the Word. Speak Truth through Me.” 
 
“I am a journalist for LifeSiteNews. What would you have me do?” I offered timidly. 
 
“Use your talents to bring Truth to the world."
 
"Report on the movements of those who seek to eradicate my image in humanity."
 
"Simply report the facts regarding what is happening in the great battle for life, marriage, and the family.”
 
“No one will listen. No one really cares. It all seems like such a futile attempt, worse than ‘preaching to the choir,’” I blurted out. 
 
“Do not be afraid (Jn 6:20). Go out to the deep and let down your nets for a catch (Lk 5:4). You do not know from one day to the next who will receive your testimony."
 
"If I the Logos am behind your words, then they shall accomplish my desire; they shall achieve my purpose (Is 55:11)."
 
"Please, do this for my people who are perishing for lack of knowledge. Do this for them."
 
"Please, do this for Me,” he said encouragingly, with the hint of a smile on his lips. 
 
He held my eyes for a long time, gazing into my soul. The snow outside my window continued to fall soundlessly, making all thing look new. Something like fire began to stir in the depths of my being. 
 
“Lord,” I said with a conviction that surprised myself, “I will do what you have asked. 

“You will be falsely accused and taken before courts for witnessing to Truth, witnessing to Me (Lk 21:8). But, do not fear, I have overcome the world (Jn 16:33).”

I give you my mind to think your thoughts and my hands to type your words. Make me an instrument of your peace. Only give me a heart to love your people. Give me your heart, then do with me as you will.”
 

“I will be with you always,” he assured me, “even to the end of the age (Mt 28:20).”
 
"Come Lord Jesus," I prayed, "Maranatha!"
 

Kind reader, whatever you can give this Christmas season, know that you are doing your part in turning the tide in favor of the culture of life, of all that is good and beautiful in the human family called to be the children of God. (Click Here to Donate)

By supporting LifeSiteNews, you are providing all the journalists on staff the opportunity to spread knowledge to the countless souls perishing at the hands of the culture of death by bringing to the world reports imbued with truth.

I have revealed what is in my heart as I strive to serve the Lord through journalism.   While my part involves writing news articles about what is really happening to the face of humanity in the world, this would not be possible without you doing your significant part in supporting my efforts and the efforts of the entire LSN team.

On a personal note, I seek your assistance in helping me provide for the needs of my growing family during the cold months of the harsh Canadian winter. Your financial support translates into me fulfilling my monthly rent obligations; it allows me to stoke the basement stove with firewood to keep my nimble fingers flying on the keyboard; it pays for the electricity that runs my computer and internet connection; it puts food on the table so that my four young children can be tucked away at night with full tummies and grateful hearts; it allows my wife Erin to turn our home into a school of humanity. 

My fellow LifeSiteNews team members, several with young families just like me, who all share in a common commitment to journalism permeated with truth, also need your support.
 
Thank you for joining us in spreading the Word
 
I wish you a blessed advent and Merry Christmas to you and yours,
 
Pete Baklinski
Journalist
LifeSiteNews 

U.S. and International Donors
Click here to donate online.
 
Call our office at (888) 678-6008 x. 923 between 9:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.
 
To donate by mail, print out and fill in one of our Adobe Acrobat PDF format mail-in forms (Click here). Then mail it with your check, money order, or credit card information to the address below. Please note that you can set up an automatic recurring donation using your bank account or credit card by indicating your intention to do so on the check or mail-in form.
 
LifeSiteNews.com, Inc.
4 Family Life Lane
Front Royal, VA 22630
USA
 
Canadian donors
Click here to donate online.
 
Call our office at (888) 678-6008 x. 923 between 9:00 a.m. and 5 p.m. EST.
 
To donate by mail, print out and fill in one of our Adobe Acrobat PDF format mail-in forms (Click here). Then mail it with your check, money order, or credit card information to the address below. Please note that you can set up an automatic recurring donation using your bank account or credit card by indicating your intention to do so on the check or mail-in form.
 
LifeSiteNews.com
104 Bond St.
Toronto, ON
M5B 1X9
 
*If the donation is towards a certain promotion or campaign, (i.e. Fall Campaign 2011) please indicate this on the mail-in form and check.


Our mailing address is:
LifeSiteNews.com
104 Bond St, third floor
Toronto, Ontario M5B1X9


Copyright (C) 2011 LifeSiteNews.com All rights reserved.